8 Fun Facts About Mini Golf
- The first mini golf course is the Ladies’ Putting Club located in St. Andrews, Scotland. Built in 1867, the mini golf course was built for women since it was, at that time, considered inappropriate for ladies to take a full swing at the golf ball.
- In the early 1900s, mini golf was referred to as “Garden Golf” and was played on real grass. Later, bumpers, or rails, were installed to provide boundaries for the golf holes.
- The first documented mini golf competitions were held in 1930 in the United States at Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There were over 200 participants from 30 states.
- There are numerous miniature golf construction companies that specialize in public mini golf and indoor mini golf.
- Indoor mini golf courses have their own mini golf supplies – colored golf balls, putters, score cards, pencils and novelty golf balls.
- There are mini golf associations – WMF (World Mini golf sport Federation) and EMG (European Mini golf sport Federation)
- The 18th hole typically includes a special hole that “captures” the golf ball, preventing the paying customer from playing more rounds of golf without purchasing another round.
- Mini golf is in its third century and is going strong, putting along, all over the world.